Upper Clapton Football Club, founded 1879. UCFC is a Community Associated Sports Club.
In the beginning, the playing colours were blue, but after three seasons the colours were changed to black and amber. It was not until the 1900/01 season that Upper Clapton adopted their present red and white playing colours. Unique in that the 7" hoops are the only ones adopted by a rugby club in this country. The red, white, black and amber striped blazers first appeared in the 1930's. The fashion declined until the late 1960's when the pattern was rediscovered and since then the blazer has been in evidence at most major fixtures all over the world and indeed became the 'yardstick' for other rugby clubs to follow.
Upper Clapton has known success in recent years and now, in the 2000's The Club is rebuilding, not only the fabric of the clubhouse, but on the playing side as well. The recruitment of new players is being achieved through active involvement with local schools and seeking a higher profile in the community, through press, posters and radio advertising and by moulding player links with foreign clubs on reciprocal basis. In 1990 we introduced 'New Image Rugby'. This is a ball handling game for boys and girls aged 5-12 years old with rules to match their physical and mental development. Upper Clapton recognised that the sooner the children of the area were introduced to the game, the better, not only for the future of rugby but also to introduce Upper Clapton Football Club to families of the area. We want everyone who comes to the club to feel part of The Upper Clapton story and to realise that they are a member of the 'Club' family: Someone, who goes on to the playing field, does their best and comes into the clubhouse to fraternise with team mates and the opposition and to recognise that rugby is about growing physically, mentally and socially.
As you would imagine, any organisation or club that has a story spanning three centuries has too much history to publish in one hit - in fact, a detailed history of the Club's first 50 years (1879-1929) can be downloaded from the Club Documents section.