The Kent Messenger is a weekly newspaper serving the mid-Kent area. It is published in three editions - Maidstone, Malling, and the Weald. It is owned by the KM Group and is published on Thursdays.
Launched in 1859 as the Maidstone Telegraph and acquired by Barham Pratt Boorman in 1890, Kent Messenger is the flagship title in KM Group's regional newspaper series.
The country's biggest-selling weekly regional newspaper (ABC Jul-Dec 2010), Kent Messenger (Series) is also the most read exclusively paid-for newspaper in Kent, with an average of 112, 934 readers each week. (JICREG Apr 2011) across Maidstone, Medway, Malling, Sittingbourne and Weald.
The Kent Messenger grew from the Maidstone Telegraph founded in the county town of Kent in 1859. It changed to its current name two years later. It was sold to the Boorman family in 1890 after its then owners, the Masters brothers, were jailed.
In 1942 the Kent Messenger offices were used by the Canterbury newspaper the Kentish Gazette (then not owned by the Kent Messenger Group) after the Gazette's offices were destroyed by a Luftwaffe raid on Canterbury, in order to produce that week's copy of the Gazette.
The Kent Messenger remains the flagship newspaper for the KM Group. Besides the main edition for Maidstone, editions are also published for Malling and the Weald. Along with the rest of the KM-owned papers, the Kent Messenger was given a design overhaul in May 2005.
The current editor is Denise Eaton.
The Kent Messenger is based at the KM Group's Maidstone office. The offices also housed the paper's sister radio station KMFM Maidstone until the station moved to the Medway offices in 2008.