Established in 1869, in Newcastle and one of the city's very earliest merchants to supply the building industry, today the company is a major stockist of Timber, Plumbing & Building Materials serving every sector of the construction industry. In 1954, Herbert Dove put the company into Trust to preserve the purpose and identity of the business and today, like the John Lewis Partnership, profits continue to be distributed to the members of staff.
An independent company with branches at Newburn, Ashington, Berwick, Birtley, Bishop Auckland, Carlisle, Hawick, Hexham, Marske, Stockton and South Shields, Dove offer a delivery service from Edinburgh to North Yorkshire, The Lakes and the Scottish Borders. In 2004 the branch network was extended with the acquisition of Auckland Timber and Builders Merchants Limited, in Bishop Auckland, where the company now trades under the name of ATL. 2006 saw the aquisition of H & W Supplies at Marske in Cleveland and this was followed closely in 2007 with another aquisition at Hawick in the Scottish Border region of BIS Builders Merchants both of which now trade under the J T Dove banner.
Early in 2007 saw the launch of a brand new branch at Portobello trading estate in Birtley ideally situated just off the A1 road. In 2008 J T Dove launched a new concept in the form of specialist Plumbing and Heating branches at Ashington and closely followed with another Plumbing and Heating branch at Birtley.
Our network of Builders Merchants outlets are complemented with our South Shields timber and timber treatment facility which uses the latest techniques in timber protection.