Spot Removal Advice | WoolSafe - Services for the wool and carpet industry, registered carpet cleaners, carpet cleaning companies
Spot And Stain Removal Guide For Carpets
General rules for spot removal on carpets
* Soak up liquids with kitchen roll, paper tissues, toilet roll, or absorbent cloth
* Scoop up or scrape the solids off the carpet
* Try to identifiy unknown spots prior to treatment – if unsure, use solvent first
* Always work from the edge of the spot inwards
* BLOT, do NOT rub
* Apply small quantities at a time, applied to a cloth, NOT directly to the spot; work into the spot with a small brush or sponge
* Take care with applying solvents to bitumen-backed carpet tiles
* When using solvents always ensure there is plenty of fresh air ventilation
* Always thoroughly rinse afterwards if water-based spotters have been used
* Dry the spot, if possible, with a hair dryer
These spot removal charts contain the methods for dealing with accidental spillages and the order in which the treatments should be tried.
The EASY SPOTS chart contains those spots that come out relatively easily with the methods recommended below or when you are cleaning the whole carpet.
DIFFICULT SPOTS are more difficult to remove and may require repeated attempts with stronger spot removers. Some stains you may find impossible to remove completely in which case the assistance of a professional carpet cleaner may be required.